Web design, UX, WordPress

graphic for Wild Design with products from their shop
one of a number of graphics created for Wild Design

Wild Design

Following on from some design work I have previously done, for Wild Design, a bricks & mortar shop in Cork city, and Killarney, Co. Kerry, we decided it was time to tackle the website. To redesign it, to match the new style guidelines we had created while designing brochures and signage for the shops.

First, we worked through the clients, like and dislikes. I got my client to show me websites they really liked, and we talked about elements that stood out for them. I also asked about elements they didn’t like. I think teaching clients how to understand the design process and logic behind building a website, helps in getting decisions made faster.

Working with the existing WordPress template, I reworked the theme into a basic wireframe, then created a more detailed mockup with little notes, decisions the client had to make on images, sliders, text, etc.

Once we had decided on the layout of the website, I began to create the graphics for the site, while I got my client to start working on photo choices, content, headers, text and links. Some of the photos we used were the clients, the collages and other photos I took myself. It was easier than trying to get a third party involved.

Because I was working with an established paid theme, it was messy to try change some of the functionality of the site, so I just reworked the designs around the existing template. There were some areas I wasn’t happy with, but I did my best. Sometimes I had to create an image with text, rather than being separate sections of image and text. I know this is not good SEO, but my client was ok with it, once I explained the problem.

After much tweaking of content, images, sizing and placement, I had everything I needed to rework the website. I had told the client I needed to take the site offline for about 2 hours to rework the site, and we had planned to do so, very early Irish time, for minimal disruption to their regular Irish clients, but actually, I was able to work away in the backend, altering the site, while it was still live. It took approximately 30 seconds for the site to reload with the new look. Minimal disruption!

I gave the client templates for the different section, and the images, so they would rework them, updating the website with new products when they needed to.

You can see the live website here: https://wilddesign.ie/

current Wild Design website